Thursday, October 16, 2008

Excursions

Ok so it’s been a while since my last post – things have been a little hectic around here and I do like to sleep a lot. In the past few weeks I have been all over southern France, or at least the area immediately surrounding Aix (within about 2 hours) and the coast.

The most recent trip I went on was to Arles, a great place to see Roman and a few pre-Roman remains. This was a class trip for my archeology course. We started at Glanum, a fairly well preserved city that dates back to Roman times. It was abandoned after the fall of the Roman Empire and buried so no one built over it. We also went to Arles and saw a good archeology museum, the old roman amphitheater (think the Coliseum but slightly smaller) and the old theater.


The weekends before that there were two school trips: one to the Luberon region and one to the Cote D’Azur including Nice, Cannes and Monaco. Both were a lot of fun and very beautiful places in their own ways. The Mediterranean is amazing and Nice is a very cool city. In the Luberon we went to three small towns, all of which had 12th century monuments and buildings to check out. In Roussillon we visited the old Ocre quary. The dirt in that area is very red, much like the American southwest.

In the next few weeks I am going to be doing a lot of traveling outside of France and then to Paris.


Both the photos are from Roussillon, in the Louberon region, the first is the village, and the second is me in the quarry.

1 comment:

Cece said...

Elyse,

I loved the picture of you
in the old Ocrea quarry. How
in the world did you get
down to it? Miss you lots.
Grandma Cece